I generally keep my iPhones for 2-3 years, depending on what new features are offered. The new iPhone Pro, which will be announced in September, has me thinking again about whether to upgrade or not.
To help with my decision, I’ve listed what new features I can expect for the iPhone 14 Pro. These include some new features introduced in the iPhone 13 Pro last year.
- Camera Upgrade: This is a biggy for me. I’ve slowly sold off my higher end camera equipment in favor of my iPhone’s camera and occasionally my small Sony rx100 vii. The iPhone 14 Pro will give me a 48-megapixel Wide lens and support for 8K video on the rear camera. The front camera will me upgraded with autofocus, increased optical zoom, image stabilization, Macro capabilities, Cinematic mode, ProRes video, and more.
- Newer, faster A16 Chip: The iPhone 12 Pro chip ain’t too shabby, but the A15 chip in the iPhone 13 Pro is 20% faster! The new A16 chip in the iPhone 14 Pro will be even faster!
- Longer Battery Life: The battery life in the iPhone 12 Pro for video playback is 17 hours. The iPhone 13 Pro comes in at 22 hours. The iPhone 14 Pro will have an even larger battery capacity.
- Brighter Display: The iPhone 14 Pro will have up to 200 nits higher peak brightness than the iPhone 12 Pro.
- Higher Modem and WiFi Performance: The iPhone 14 Pro will come with WiFi 6E, allowing for connection to 6GHz WiFi networks. Also, the iPhone 14 Pro will use the newer Snapdragon X65 modem for even faster 5G performance.
- Notch to Pill: Oh, and then there’s the Pill. I’m tired of that damn notch. So a pill-shaped cutout for sensors and front camera will be a welcomed change.
There are of course more upgrades, like ProMotion, Always-on display, larger storage options, and more. Overall, it looks like I’ll be getting the new iPhone 14 Pro in September.